Tuesday, February 22, 2011

“What We See and Hear: Why I Write and Why You Should!”


By Mr. Ashley Morris

My particular line of work requires one to hone two key requirements that are central to this job: the capability to talk, and an ability to listen. These abilities require specific skill sets that can only be acq­uired with the wisdom which accompanies time and experience.

 Just as our parents teach us specific words and phrases, they must also show us vocal inflections, tones, and harmonies. All these are neces­sary to be learned in order to master the arts of speaking and listening.

For example: we hear a lot of things every day, but we choose to listen to particular items based on their level of importance to us. Depending on the circumstance, this could be either extremely helpful or very detrimental to our survival and sanity!

 Mastering these abilities only takes place when we experience life through engaging others in conversation, these abilities sharpened only by actively participating in both.

You become a better listener through conversing with individuals. The greater that you listen to others talk, the more your own skills of speaking are enhanced.

What does any of this have to do with writing or my line of work?

The ability to talk, ones capability to listen, the fine skill of writing, and even my occupation are all en­compassed in one word: storytelling. Each of us has a story to tell that is worth listening to and worthy to share with others. 

Regardless of how frivolous or mediocre we believe these stories to be, they are the first and most important way we connect with one another.

It is how we share our fears, anxieties, hopes and dreams. It is how we express sorrow, joy, frustration, bewilderment, excitement and expectation. It is the element that unites us under a common goal and directs our energy in a positive direction if harnessed properly.

 Our stories have the unique ability to transcend everything that makes us different in order to remind us of all these things which bring us to­gether. The moment we grasp firmly to those things that connect us, is the very same instant we reach a level of wisdom, which brings us much more closely to what we each hold sacred and true in this world.

This is what we achieve when we write.

We talk; we share our experiences, tears of triumph and survival. We share our laughs of ecstasy or cries of deep desperation. All are descriptively rendered through the words, we express in our writings.

We listen; we hear our own voices, those whispers of the silent majority. The clamoring of the vocal minority members, the many unspoken thoughts of those who cannot speak freely without fear of per­secution or alienation, is contained in our carefully constructed narratives. 

Through this intricate yet fig­urative dance, an exchange of thoughts through our active participation in listening and talking, we are and forever will be, connected to one another in the past, present, and future.

So I encourage all to be intentional yet deliberate in sharing your experiences. Whether it be verbally, through the mediums of a pen and paper, or using a keyboard and monitor. Your stories are unique and necessary for the survival of millions of people who long to laugh, cry, and bond with others, who they not only identify with, but desire to call “friend.”

It is my hope that through this short peroration, my friends, you’ve been inspired to write your own story with hearts, minds, and ears open. Being prepared yourself, to be receptive as well, to these wonderful and insightful messages, which will be sure to follow from those, that are inspired by your words.

Copyright 2/22/2011

16 comments:

Unknown said...

Hello AM, welcome to the Prowlers and now to accompany Professor and Angel, we have another amazing writer here.

Now to the article. It was very well written and i loved it. I guess all of us have a story to tell and write about. Every one of us brings a unique flavor to it and that is why it is so awesome :)

Jacob Waring said...

Mr. Ashley Morris....only one word sums up your first piece on this esteem....Epic!

Anonymous said...

Angel aka the Philosopher said...

When a writer crafts his words from the heart and soul of his being, he can truly create a masterpiece.

This was such a heartfelt and wonderful read Ashley. You have your own unique style and talent for writing.
I too, welcome you to the Professor's Write Site and hope to read more of your inspirations. :)..

Unknown said...

@ Professor

Thank you sir for the praise. It is my honor to be inspector general of the site :P

$Money$ said...

@Chinmay - Thank you for your kind words and comments, my friend! And thank you for your warm welcome to the site and it's more than gifted writers! I can only hope that my words will provide the same quality substance that is consistently offered by you, The Professor, Angel, and the other fellow Prowlers!

I hope that the piece encourages you to continue to tell your stories, as they deserve to be heard and shared. Your words and experiences may literally be the difference between a good or bad day for someone, and through listening to one another we take steps towards becoming more in touch and aware of our desperate need to care for someone else other than just ourselves.

Thank you again, my friend!

AkaProfessorM said...

@Chinmay: You are very welcome Chinmay and thank you for your strong support! ;D

$Money$ said...

@The Professor - Sir, I must thank you several times over for inviting me to become a part of such an enigmatic gathering of writers who strive to master the lost art of storytelling through the medium of narrative and prose! Thank you for the kind welcome, and I am indeed humbled by the remarks from all of the Prowlers! I believe I have a long way to go before I can stand shoulder to shoulder with you all! I look forward to the journey!

$Money$ said...

@Jacob Waring - Thank you, my friend! Your kind words have definitely made my day! Your input is very valuable, and now that you've deemed the piece worthy, I can rest well knowing that its intended message was well received by a remarkable person such as yourself and the fellow Prowlers!

$Money$ said...

@Angel - I crafted this piece with two goals in mind: to speak authentically from the heart, and to live up to the quality standards set by those that have contributed to the site well before me.

To read your words and remarks regarding my piece is very humbling, Angel! Thank you and the others here for setting such a high bar for us all to reach for when submitting to the Professor! If not for your previous work, as well as the work of everyone who contributes to the site along with The Professor's guidance, writers such as myself would never strive to work towards perfecting their craft for the good of those set to receive their intended messages.

So again, thank you for your support, thank you for taking the time out to read the piece, and thank you thank you THANK YOU for being uniquely you!!!

AkaProfessorM said...

@$Money$: Ashley we are all learning and it is a constant process. The core of writers here, each bring to the table samples of their unique respective views, stories ,tips and styles for our readers to sample.

One constant is their love of "Writing", while still Another is the desire to share it with those who want to learn how to improve theirs.

The goal has always has been to promote Quality by showing those interested, how to recognize it. We have endeavored to entice the best writers to help us show such Quality, by demonstrating it with examples of their work.

These are experienced and enjoyed by our many followers through the various articles, which are proudly displayed on our front page, for all to see!

Thanks for joining and adding your name to the list of the Professor's Recognized Original Writers League, Ashley. It was well worth the wait! ;D

AkaProfessorM said...

@Chinmay: Leave it to You Chinmay, my friend, to make the first comment on Ashley's offering Sir!

I was right when I asked you to be the sites Inspector General of Quality here. That you accepted has been something of which I am every grateful, Sir!

Ashley has indeed joined our group and so now shines, showing his exceptional skills as a proven wordsmith as well!

You are a fine example of Decency, Honesty and Integrity, whose presence bolsters the morale of everyplace you have made joined.

I add my welcome to yours as we welcome the Newest Prowl'er Mr. Ashley Morris! ;D
February 23, 2011 7:25 PM

Rize said...

Great to see another Morris classic. Awesome article as usual man. Well written and made complete sense throughout. Hope I can be this good one day!

$Money$ said...

@RiZE - My friend, it is a pleasure to have you speak so highly of my work here! Thank you for taking the time out to peruse it! Please believe me when I tell you that you are already "this good," my friend! Your enthusiasm encourages me to do better with telling my own stories, so I encourage you to keep up the work man! Only YOU can tell YOUR STORY in YOUR WAY, and that's what makes YOUR WRITING THE BEST EVER!!!

Thanks again, RiZE!

$Money$ said...

@Professor - Thank you for having me good sir! I've said in a million times here, but it is an honor and a breath of fresh air to add to this site which you have created to help us hone our skills and talents!

M Pax said...

Writing is sanity. :) Glad you keep motivated.

$Money$ said...

@M Pax - Thank you for the read and comments, M Pax! And if writing is sanity, I must continue to stay motivated lest I succumb to the INsanity of this crazy world we live in!

Here's a jewel for you that I happened across today: the words "victim" and "willing participant" were used to describe the same person...

This is yet another one of the reasons why I write! Thank you again, my friend!