Monday, April 20, 2015

Creating Fictional Characters - How I Do It


All the various writing styles I've ever attempted, regardless of the topic or genre chosen, begin the same way. Each appeals to my creative urges, fuelled on by my need to reply, answer, compliment and or complete an idea, which for me was to that point, unfinished. 


 Does that mean that my inspiration was negligent in conveying their idea. No! Not at all, my good readers! Each writer looks for their sources, resources and topics in their own way. The common denominator for all writers everywhere is that they all quickly recognize their quarry (Topic Du Jour).

Each of my quarries are chosen for reasons known to me! Before that final title is chosen, the plot emerges which either the writers know, envision or discover! Then the individual pieces begin to appear within the context of the tale as to their initial relevance, storyline purpose and character development.

Here's the place where all the creative magic begins. For me, these characters begin to emerge from their points of origin. Like my story lines, they exist, there in the vast recesses of my very fertile imagination. Initially they will start out as stick caricatures. References points that flesh out into their respective parts.

The parts on my story board begin as so many faceless, nondescript points and counterpoints as I brainstorm. From my initial concept, I proceed to weave the interaction of my protagonists and antagonists as each appears in my plot line's progression.  These scripted characterizations are fully developed for their individual roles.


As each becomes a more flushed out, descriptively defined and distinct party, their personalities make them more realistic. The better my research is, whether it be in fleshing out all the necessary details present in my genres, their characters and the detailing, the better my readers can connect with them. Writing for them makes you a better writer.


What happens when I follow this method, results is the creation of fictional characters. The real key ingredients that make the character parts as realistic as possible always involves drawing on personal experience. If you can't find them in your own lifetime, use life experiences from the movies , books and psychological reference materials.


Being that your audience are human therefore it stands to reason that inserting human qualities are what will appeal to them. Ideally it's best expressed from a perceived personal viewpoint. The more detailed those experiences, the more enticing for ones readers to invest their interest. The use of these techniques has helped me to craft some of my best literary endeavours. May these tips be useful in the writing ventures you decide to pursue.


By Aka Professor M
Copyright April 20th 2015

No comments: