Friday, December 24, 2010

Reflections in Time : Daydreaming : Our Creativity at Work

There are those special moments, when each of us feels the need to stop, daydream and think about "what if "and "if only".  How often these happen depends upon the circumstances we find ourselves at those moments in time. There is a certain logic which is unmistakable , immutable and absolute in why this is necessary. What is the Reason?


The Reason is Creativity! That is the real difference between humans and every other lifeform on this planet. It was Rene Descartes who summed it up in that now famous phrase, "Cogito ,Ergo Sum " which translated into English then becomes "I Think, Therefore I am.".




In the ever increasing desire to fill our time, with as much as possible, such a practice as Daydreaming as been frowned upon. It has been often labelled as wasteful, useless and counter-productive. I reject such notions as simply the rantings of the uninformed and ill advised.


 Some, if not all of the best ideas, have started out as an inspiration, which comes to someone in an unguarded moment we call daydreams. There have been studies conducted by scientists, which have stated that many of our daydreams are a source of  personal unhappiness, depression, mental illness and lead may even lead to incidences of suicide.


My answer to that, is anything, if taking in a predisposed, predetermined and subjective test criteria, can be made to suit ones purposes. Based on such bias studies here are a few examples to think about. Many  people should not think because it is known to be the #1 cause of " insert malady here"!  Those people living in polluted cities should stop breathing, because air is the #1 cause of death from  "Airborne Pollutants." Over Simplifications?  Of Course they are!


 We have to exercise common sense! What is the purpose of the study? Who would benefit from those results? Who funded the study? What was the researcher's criteria used to, create the questions, pick the test subjects and determine the specific results released?  Who has the most to gain from it?


When the truth is told, these studies don't always give us the whole picture. The results given, usual favor the side the researcher was trying to prove, rather than give a true reading of the data gathered.     


When asked to read and comment on a friend's blog I came up with this quote which sums up my feelings on this subject! It is my opinion and  It is how I feel based on my life experiences. So here it is for all it's worth. This is the way that I feel about dreams and daydreams. 


My Comment found on  Chinmay's Traces http://01chinmay.wordpress.com/

The subject of Dreams is as different as is the person’s individuality who reads and muses on your work, my friend. 


Dreams I believe may be the testing ground for all Ideas. It may be the place that unexpressed desires find fertile soil in which to grow. It may be the expression of a feeling to try without dangers of being rejected or accepted prematurely!
Dreams are all our hopes, wishes, fears, doubts, aspirations, highs and lows. Most of all dreams are the birth place of our Creativity. It is the dwelling place of our personal relationship with creation and our Creator.
It is here that we express our closeness to a Force so perfect and complete that we know exists intuitively, but can only imagine within our limited scope, how truly great and magnificent It really is.
Dreams don’t change with age, rather they deepen and flesh out as we mature. As for daydreaming, I highly recommend it. Daydreams are an escape which every individual needs to regenerate and recuperate. 

We need it to save us from the bombardment of our myriad of thoughts ! Simply stated, that my friend, is the Imagination’s timeout! ;D

20 comments:

Samantha said...

Wow I daydream a lot I dont see why day dreaming is frowned upon, like you said, its what makes us human. I think they're definetly needs to be more open minded people so we have more imagination!
Love your site by the way. I spend a lot of my time on here, some of your aritcles are very moving and interesting. Thank you

AkaProfessorM said...

@Samantha: I thank you, Samantha, for your nice comment.Your patronage is very appreciated here. The site was created to give people something a little unique & different.

The personal touch is something missing from the vast majority of sites. Most Blogs are made by people who are only want to give the rest of the world their views, without wanting to listen.

I believe that for a place to be followed it needs to appeal to their audience. People want to be appreciated and feel their being listened to.

I know that is how I feel and I treat others like I like to be treated. Takes Again! ;D

Anonymous said...

Angel aka the Philosopher said...

Always a pleasure to read your bits of Philosophy my friend. As one thinker to another, creativity is one of the many unique gifts that we can share with others.

It is a little busy for me at this time but I just wanted to say, many best wishes for the season and for the new year to you and our readers! ;).................

Unknown said...

Sir, it is an amazing article.

It has erased the question marks, which are there at the end of my post at traces. It was really insightful. As a daydreamer, i loved and related to everything you said here.

I think life would be flat without dreams. May it be any form of dreams, ambition or wildest fantasy, i feel they show us the way and the end.

Unknown said...

And i forgot, Merry Christmas to you sir, and to all the readers of this site across the world.

AkaProfessorM said...

@Chinmay: Sir, It was your work on Traces that was responsible for this piece, my friend.

I wrote what I felt, when you gave us what you'd pondered on there with "As we dream, As we Grow" .

My reply was instantaneous, spontaneous,and came flowing out of my mind in a gush of insight which I delivered verbatim.

It was released in response to my understand of your questions which seemed to be so poignant as
to extract that answer from my soul.

It gave me a chill when I read what appeared before my eyes and it inspired me to write this
my friend. Thank you for that great inspiration, Chinmay!;D

AkaProfessorM said...

@Chinmay: Thank You Chinmay! May This Christmas be all that You and yours could hope for in the Form of Peace, Health, Happiness and Love. Merry Christmas! ;D

AkaProfessorM said...

@Angel aka the Philosopher : The fact that you have found this worthy of your comment is both complimentary and gratifying Angel.

Philosophically speaking the concept of Dreams & daydreaming is fundamental to Thinkers, Artists and Creative People regardless of their Area of expertise.

The understanding that we shared in this area makes it a special treat in that we have common ground from which to appreciate it's subtleties!

May You and everyone who is near and dear to you enjoy Health Happiness, Peace and Love this Christmas Season Dear Angel! ;D

Iam D Real Deal yo said...

Awesome work Sir! I don't have anything to add in here. I read Chinmay's post on word press and I liked it and now we have yours which tamed the argument we are at as a whole. Just lovely and brilliant Sir.

On a side-note! Merry Christmas, Seasons Greetings and a Happy New Year to all the lovely people on this site. ;-)

AkaProfessorM said...

@Deal: Wisdom is for all, my friend! Chinmay posed the questions. The Creator gave me the ability to channel the answers for him, this time.

Next time it may be Angel aka the Philosopher or JVCXV, maybe Mr.Ashley Morris or Iam D Real Deal yo.

That is why things happen the way they do. Those who can answer are found by those with the questions.

The Writers aren't the source of the Wisdom, they are simply the medium used by the Almighty to provide the answers at the time. ;D

Iam D Real Deal yo said...

Well said Sir, I am sure we will get such awesome posts in the future as well. ;-)

AkaProfessorM said...

With contributions like that of Angel Chinmay and yourself the site is as you would say "Already Rocking",Deal!

I can hardly wait until we get the others like JVCXV & Ashley Morris to add to the Awesomeness!

We're on Pace to hit 9,500 by tomorrow and we might end up with 10,000 by the end of December!
Not bad for only 4 months old! ;D

Iam D Real Deal yo said...

"Keep Rocking......Awesomeness"

You're speaking my language now, after 10 months "D Deal's Sauce" is finally making an impact on the Professor's wordings as well!LOL

I just checked and we already have hit 9500+ views Sir, just around less than 500 more and I will be thrilled to see this place hitting the 5 figure before 2011 begins.

To quote from my "myself" Keep Rocking! ;-)

AkaProfessorM said...

@Deal: The vernacular used, is absorbed into the collective and dispensed as necessary, my friend!

The interaction between us as been a give and take for both so the adoption of the other's lingo is understandable given the circumstances, Deal!

Translation: Awesomeness is Rocking TPWS because of Dudettes like Angel, Dudes like Chin Man, the Deal Miester and the every watchful eye of "Doc" Aka the Prof, that be me. < {:-{)> ( Mike!)

Unknown said...

@ Professor,

If my questions are going to let us read such a pieces, then i promise i will bring a lot of them up. There is nothing better than learning things from you.

On the side note,10,000 reads in four months is going to be epic. when Ashley Morris, JVCXV will also start writing here, TPWS is going to be simply one of the best blogs on the internet, if it already is not :-)

AkaProfessorM said...

@Chinmay: You, Sir currently have the top rated piece on the Site @ 197+ reads your work "Music - The Language of Every Heart" is the most read ever.

Iam The Real Deal yo @ 186+ is next for "The World of Social Networking: An attitude adjustment Away from Glory".

Angel aka the Philosopher rounds out the top 3 @
157+ reads for "The Gift of The Creator".

The Site has you three to thank for adding the
Quality that shines forth attracting the ever increasing interest and patronage of our fans.

10,000 is well within the reach right now thanks to one and all! ;D

Iam D Real Deal yo said...

LMAO! that is just brilliant Sir. What should I say? You have tamed the "code to Awesomeness" and are rocking it to Glory.

100 points for that analogy,wish we could Like comments here as well. ;-)

And great to know that I am at 186 right now, just 14 more reads and 200,WOOT

I will all the three you mentioned! ;-)

AkaProfessorM said...

@Deal: There is a uniqueness to the Fine People who have come to write, read and comment on TPWS.

They are searching for Quality and the Reads tell us the type of things they enjoy reading about the Comments are also "Likes" unless they are shown to be otherwise.

Here a comment is given when that reader has felt so moved by the piece and wishes to tell the author how they felt about it.

To get such a reaction means the writer and reader have connected and each is in tune with the other in the commonality of understanding.
Sounds like a "LIKE" to me.;D

Iam D Real Deal yo said...

You are just too damn Awesome Sir, very well said indeed!

So it seems that PROWL Episode 3o will be the last post of this year on this blog then? ;-)

AkaProfessorM said...

@Deal The #30th Prowl will be the final Prowl.

Seeing as it will be on the 30th of December and the month has 31 days it is possible that another post could be made to usher in the new month and years as well, my friend!

I'll like our readers decide by their pageviews as to whether another piece will be required. ;D